Once in a while, you read a book so incredible you have to buy highlighters to mark your favorite phrases.
Elizabeth Gilbert’s Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear was one of those books for me.
I first heard about the book Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear from one of the people I follow on Instagram.
Seeing the title made me sure that I wanted to get the book for myself. It took me over a year to get it, but I did!
To say this book spoke to me would be an enormous understatement.
It was inspiring. Emotionally moving. So true and so right and so resonant that I would easily call it my favorite book of the year.
If you’re currently involved in creative work, this book is for you.
Here are my favorite quotes from Elizabeth Gilbert’s Big Magic that will help you pursue your creative curiosities and passions:
On Overcoming Fear
- “So take your insecurities and your fears and hold them upside down by their ankles and shake yourself free of all your cumbersome ideas about what you require (and how much you need to pay) in order to become creatively legitimate.”
- “This is a world, not a womb. You can look after yourself in this world while looking after your creativity at the same time — just as people have done for ages.”
On Our Capacity For Creativity
- “You do not need anybody’s permission to live a creative life.”
- “If you’re alive, you’re a creative person.”
On Choosing Creativity
- “I told the universe (and anyone who would listen) that I was committed to living a creative life not in order to save the world, not as an act of protect, not to become famous, not to gain entrance to the canon, not to challenge the system, not to show the bastards, not to prove to my family that I was worthy, not as a form of deep therapeutic emotional catharsis … but simply because I liked it.”
- “And since creativity is still the most effective way for me to access wonder, I choose it.”
- “Ideas of every kind are constantly galloping toward us, constantly pass through us, constantly trying to get our attention.”
- “Your own reasons to create are reason enough. Merely by pursuing what you love, you may inadvertently end up helping us plenty.”
- “Seduce the Big Magic and it will always come back to you.”
On The Benefits Of A Creative Life
- “A creative life is an amplified life. It’s a bigger life, a happier life, an expanded life, and a hell of a lot more interesting life.”
- “…it’s all kind of amazing—what we get to do, what we get to attempt, what we sometimes get to commune with.”
- “Pure creativity is something better than a necessity; it’s a gift. It’s the frosting. Our creativity is a wild and unexpected bonus from the universe.”
- “Through the mere act of creating something—anything—you might inadvertently produce work that is magnificent, eternal, or important.”
Big Magic is a beautiful book to help you tap into your creativity.
Anyone can be creative, and the best way to do so is to show up, be consistent, and be as true to yourself as you can.
I highly recommend this book to you, who has read this post to the end.
To get the book in PDF, comment below.