I vaguely remember my mum preparing mushrooms for us when we were younger.
When I wanted to prepare mushrooms a while back, I tried remembering how it was done back then – and I couldn’t.
The question at the back of my mind was always, “What goes with the mushroom?”
So, of course, I had to run to google just to see, and well, that gave me an idea. But to be honest, mushrooms can be had as a snack on their own, with rice or even ugali if you like.
If you’re looking for some mushroom recipe ideas, here’s how I made mine:
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 large onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (just because I love garlic…You can use whatever you like)
- 400g button mushrooms – halved (I got these from Naivas)
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
What To Do
- In a pan, heat the cooking oil over medium heat. Next, add the onions and garlic and cook until browned.
- Add in your mushrooms (remember to rinse them before chopping them) and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and browned about 7-10 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut cream, thyme, and oregano and season with salt and paper. Bring this to a boil, reduce the heat as it simmers until it is well thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander and serve immediately.
I had mine with rice, and it was heavenly!
Try this out, and let me know how it goes. Enjoy!